Diesel generator

Things 12V and 24V
44c

Re: Diesel generator

Post by 44c » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:01 pm

Yeah, we're also very happy with gas. We have gas cooking and hot water. Two of us living aboard, hot showers every day, a 9kg bottle lasts us over 3 months.

We have a gas sniffer in the galley, connected to a solenoid shut off valve.

Trev

Post by Trev » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:43 am

I have probably accepted that gas hot plates are the only practical way to boil a kettle for a cuppa without starting a genny so thats the way we will go, but we are still researching the other options.
I know Bryan and Rowena from Schools Out, so I have asked Bryan for his slant on the issue, and he has sent me back quite a detailed letter with his thoughts, which I am slowly digesting.
Thanks for all the input, and I'll let you know what I come up with :)
Trev

mahnamahna

Post by mahnamahna » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:35 am

You could use diesel hotplates. I saw them on a Montebella at the 2010 SC boatshow. Apparently they work by spraying diesel under pressure through the hob outlets and dont smoke or smell but I have never seen one operational. Not cheap either about double the already ridiculously inflated lpg hob prices. But if you want to get rid of gas that and a convection microwave oven would do it. I am having gas hobs but am scared of gas ovens so I am having a convection microwave.

Trev

Post by Trev » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:04 pm

Diesel hot plates and oven were our first choice but yea they are a bit pricey and they are not very common so servicing could be an issue? we have settled for a convection microwave for a oven as well. Building and fairing are the easy bits! I reckon all the decisions about the services and their placement are the things that do my head in.
Trev.

mahnamahna

Post by mahnamahna » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:02 pm

Hey Trev I have a deal for you, you come round and fair my boat and I will choose all of your appliances and fit them for you......

I didnt really consider the diesel hob, I hate the smell of diesel it makes me seasick (and on non diesel boats I am pretty good) and even though they say you cant smell it, and on the show boat we couldnt, but I dont trust it to stay that way indefinitely, but for a person who diesel induces seasickness having the smell in the galley and saloon (we have galley up)...no thanks.

44c

Post by 44c » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:19 pm

We actually use our barbecue as an oven. Works very well for baked dinners, pizzas, etc. Keeps the heat out of the boat, which is very desirable in the tropics. We make bread with an electric 240v breadmaker, which can usually be run off the solar.

Don't know about diesel, but we had a kerosine stove on our old boat. It reeked. It was dirty and dangerous too. The entire headlining was constantly covered in soot, and every bit of gear on board ended up smelling. I still have some stuff from that boat, like bosun's chairs and harnesses, and they still stink.

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:37 pm

The makers of production boats go to great lengths to totally isolate the engine (diesel) room from the living areas of the boats, and the reason for that is that they stink. No matter what you do down there or how careful you change filters and what have you, they stink. Any rags you wipe up with or wipe your hands with, they stink. Period. So why would you want a diesel anything in your galley. If you want cheap, clean, reliable, quiet and instant heat, go gas.
Jim.

Trev

Post by Trev » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:09 pm

44c

Post by 44c » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:37 am

LOL! Yes it exhausts externally. So do diesel motors! But they still can make a boat smell, unless they are in a completely isolated compartment. (Which you could certainly do with a genset - there's no diesel smell on School's Out, for instance.)

I was recently invited aboard a brand new bavaria yacht. Guess what hit me first on going below?

But no doubt you'll make your own decisions, regardless of input from us...

mahnamahna

Post by mahnamahna » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:30 pm

Yeah I am with 44 on every aspect of this. If you are having diesels onboard anyway maybe, and if the smell of diesel is ok for you then I imagine this to be safer than a gas hob. But as others have pointed out, gas is very safe (statistically). I had a scare with a gas oven when I first moved out of home and dont like them, and wont have one if I can avoid it. I do like the idea of using a gas kettle bbq like a weber Q as an oven in the cockpit.