Interior lighting idea

Things 12V and 24V
Whimsical

Interior lighting idea

Post by Whimsical » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:35 pm

I have been known to have some "different" ideas and now is no exception.
I don't like small super intense fittings and wanted a more distributed style of lighting.
I have no linings to hide wiring in and i hadn't decided where i wanted things so it becomes difficult to accomodate the lighting.
First idea was to use strip lights and run a length from b/head to b/head and bury the wires in the coving, LED lights so only very small wires. Seemed good but a lot of the strip lights are not a very nice colour temperature and then i want night lighting.
Second idea use RGB led strips then i can drive each colour to get the colour i like and can drive just the red to a low level for night lights.
Yes i know i'm nuts but i have fun

Mike

sea_bee

Re: Interior lighting idea

Post by sea_bee » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:44 pm

I've just installed a six 5m strips of LED lights in my boat building shed. The result is impressive. The strips are almost 5m off the floor, and spread across the 14m length of the shed on the underside of the trusses.

I had been expecting a full moon effect, giving enough background light to get about safely with a torch, or use a worklight. Instead, it lights the whole place up like daytime. The best aspect is that the light comes from so many sources that there is no real shadowing.

My shed is remote, and I have put up one cheap solar panel connected to an old deep cycle battery that I had. Each 5m strip uses almost 2 amps.

The strips are pretty crude, with LEDs mounted onto a heavy film (maybe metal) that you can see the conductors through. The metal film had a double sided tape that I used to hold it up while I stapled across the strip. I wouldn't use these in an area that is directly visible.

Chris

Whimsical

Post by Whimsical » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:14 pm

Sea Bee
the strip is a very thin circuit board with copper traces on one side.They can be had with a white silk sreen over the copper so are mostly white, which is what i ordered.
I agree they don't look the best so am looking around for a slightly frosted strip of acrylic to use as a diffuser over the top so that should look a lot better.
The lack of shadowing is what got me thinking about them.
I have 6 rolls comming which will cover the entire interior, $18 ea delivered. 12 amps is a lot but i think i will be able to dim them down a lot in such a small interior. They are not all on at the same time so will be a more reasonable draw overall.

sea_bee

Post by sea_bee » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:09 pm

Hi Mike

You will definitely not need the full power of all those strips. Even from the distance I described, our shed lights are really bright.

In an earlier project, I used some of those waterproof strings of LEDs that are mounted 3 to a plastic moulding. I used these in our bathroom reno (our house is 12v). It is a small room, so instead of cornice, used scotia moulding. I left gap behind the scotia for the lights, and covered them with clear acrylic. Came up quite ok.

Something like this:

Whimsical

Post by Whimsical » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:29 pm

that method would be good if i had a corner to put it in. Unfortunately i have very rounded side decks so that won't work. I will run the strips down the centerlines of the hulls and try to find a way to have a diffuser of some sort over the strips. Possibly a strip of frosted glued to a very narrow strip of something 2mm by 2mm on each side. Can buy an aluminium extrusion and diffuser to fit but at about $25 a metre i will pass on that.