Solar charger and Bat charger wiring

Things 12V and 24V
travel4fun

Solar charger and Bat charger wiring

Post by travel4fun » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:13 am

Wiring in the solar and Battery charger, however I'm unsure about the terminating of the wires.

Both the House and starter battery cables go direct to a common Buss Bar before going to the switch board.

My question is: The wires coming out from the solar and Battery charger, do they go to the common buss bars or do they have to go directly to the battery terminals ?

Any help would be great thankyou

Grainger Cat 40ft final stages of finishing.

Whimsical

Re: Solar charger and Bat charger wiring

Post by Whimsical » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:03 am

I am taking all my ins and outs to the buss bar. Short cable to batts via a switch and fuse.
Are u taking both the start and house batts to the same buss bar?

travel4fun

Post by travel4fun » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:35 am

Sorry I've sort have said the wrong thing, the negative feed out's all go to the same common Buss bar , while the house bank positive feed out has its own buss bar and the starter has feed out has its own positive buss bar.

House bank positive buss feeds switch board.

Starter positive buss feeds motors and winchs.

I've been doing some net reading and now thinking that the neg feed out from chargers can all go to a common buss ( not the same one as feed out ) and then the positive feed will go direct to each positive bat terminal.

I would still like to hear from others if this is correct.

I know I have not contributed much on this site, however you dont get much free time to contribute with replies while building yourselve, I will be once the boat is completed and in the water, I will have much more confidence in giving advise as I will no that I have successfully completed a build. With plenty of do's and don't and how's.

Travel4fun

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:42 am

I have both the batt charger and the solar reg going direct to the batteries. That doesn't make it right, it's just the way I went.
Jim.

puremajek

Post by puremajek » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:44 am

Battery Charger 12vDC Connections
  • > Negative – direct to Negative Bus Bar.
    > Positive – via (overcurrent protection within 7” of output point – see Note 2), then additional overcurrent protection at point of connection to the Battery Switch (if installed), then directly to Battery Positive. Battery Switch should be as close as possible to the Battery.
Solar Charger 12vDC Connections
  • > Negative – direct to Negative Bus Bar.
    > Positive – via a Fuse (see Note 3), then to the Battery Positive. We have a separate Solar Switch, close to the Battery, for what its worth.
Inverter
Notes:
  • 1: No responsibility is accepted for this information.
    2: Only if the Battery Charger does not have its own internal overcurrent protection. A subtle hint when buying the Battery Charger.
    3: Fuse must be located close to the Battery terminal connection.
Reference: Boatowner’s Mechanical & Electrical Manual and ABYC Standards.
James