smev ovens

Suggestions on keeping the cook happy
northerncat

smev ovens

Post by northerncat » Mon May 22, 2006 11:57 pm

what is the opinion on smev ovens, im looking at getting the one without the cooktop so that i can mount into the back of the lounge? are they okay or what?

sean

puremajek

smev ovens

Post by puremajek » Tue May 23, 2006 9:09 pm

Sean

I have no experience with SMEV gear, but have already purchased this type of oven for our yacht. I had seen one in operation in another cruising mono and they spoke highly of its use. The only drawback they had was the 'oven cooking smells' which seemed to go through to one of there sleeping compartments due to lack of ventilation. The ventilation was there (while ever too small) but could not be used on certain days because of the forward facing hatch directing the rain internally. A message there I suppose.

Feedback prior to our purchase from our gas fitter was that many did not meet the legal certification requirements (or carry the correct markings) for approval in Australia, where this SMEV unit does, which made his life a little easier.

While this detracts from this topic a little, one of the questions on a recent application for a mooring permit that I filled in, asked whether 'gas was fitted' and if fitted, some details of certification.
James

catmando

smev ovens

Post by catmando » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:22 pm

Saw smev in a chincogan 50 up in pancake creek a cupla years ago and they were having a serious rust problem with it, mind you it was a warrenty job and I haven't heard of other probs, not that i've been asking around. Did look the part though. I'm keeping my cooking on the new cat i'm building out in the cockpit on a 3 or 4 burner bbq with roasting lid from "ultimate bbq" . We will have burners down below to flash up the wok in shitty weather. Always liked the $20 portables with disposable cannesters. Used these for 5 years on last cat and just got a new one if the stared to look sus. Only did this once and still use the old one at home.