refrigeration

Suggestions on keeping the cook happy
northerncat

refrigeration

Post by northerncat » Wed May 31, 2006 6:36 am

has anyone looked into using eutetic fridges the theory sounds good?

sean

44c

refrigeration

Post by 44c » Thu May 31, 2007 3:54 am

I have a little. Most eutectics run from an engine driven compressor, so those ones are no good for our outboard powered boats.

You can buy eutectic tanks for 12 volt fridges though - Waeco does them, as well as ozefridge, and probably others. I don't really know how much power they would save though, ozefridge do claim it's substantial.

At present I am planning on just buying a ready-to-go fridge, it's just much more simple and probably no more expensive, when you look at the price of compressors and evaporator plates, building an insulated cabinet, and fitting shelves etc...

Vitrifrigo does a range of fridges and freezers with remote compressor/condenser units. The one that seems to suit our needs and availabe space is this one; http://www.caravansplus.com.au/catalog/ ... 241030b125

At 130 litres overall with a 17 litre freezer. I think the price seems fairly reasonable too.

Smooth Cruiser

refrigeration

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Thu May 31, 2007 3:59 pm

I have two fridge freezers that are both the normal 12V camping fridge type. One is an Evacool and works fantastically - it is the food fridge, the other uses an Engel compressor unit but a custom fabricated stainless twin compartment fridge freezer. This has heaps of insulation and works well too, with the freezer oscillating between -16 and -6 degrees. Both draw about 3.5 amps while running. The fridge section of this one is the drinks fridge as it sits around 2 degrees.

To me this seems a pretty good way to go - the power draw is not too large and the compressors are very efficient.

The only other thing that I would add about refridgeration is that I would steer clear of front opening fridges. Mine are both top opening and they hold the cool in when opening - I have been on other boats with front opening fridges where you can feel the cold around your feet every time the door is opened, and hear the compressor kick in again straight away every time the door is opened. This was so bad on one boat where they enjoyed a drink in the evening that they froze an ice block down each day and put there evening drinks in an esky and reckoned this used less power overall than opening the fridge throughout the evening. What a hassle!

44c

refrigeration

Post by 44c » Thu May 31, 2007 10:49 pm

What you say about top opening v front opening is definitely true. But one of the downsides of having long, skinny hulls is the lack of underbench space in the galley. (Unless you have the galley up, which we don't want.) So we are pretty much limited to a front opener. Our old boat had a front opening fridge too, and you do learn not to have the door open any longer than need be. This boat will have more solar panels and batteries than our old one, as well as a more efficient fridge, so we should be fine.

northerncat

refrigeration

Post by northerncat » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:30 am

i have built my own and will be using an ozefridge setup, the fridgefreezer will live under the table the unit will run a top loading freezer that is connected to a front opening fridge, the fridge will be controlled by a thermostatically operated spillover fan, the door to the fridge will open out but will have a lip of 150mm to contain the really cold air and not allow it to fall out, it looks pretty cool i think and will cost around 2000$ finished for a 100l freezer and 130l fridge

sean

Smooth Cruiser

refrigeration

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:39 pm

Here is a picture that shows the layout of my two fridges (discussed in the post above). Both fit quite neatly the front one being set into the counter top allows it to be top opening even in a galley down configuration.

44c

refrigeration

Post by 44c » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:58 pm

SC you have a mile more room in the hulls than I do. Even raising the bench height to what seems about as far as reasonable - 950mm or so, there is nowhere near the width of bench available. On the inboard side, around 500mm, outboard side around 300mm. But the inboard side is only wide because it's over the chamfer panel, which is angled at about 45', so it gets skinny quickly as you move deeper down the hull.

An underbench fridge or freezer would end up being a wedge, about 500 top x 500 front, with a 45 degree angle on the back of it. By the time you put insulation in there, there would be very little room. The fridge really has to be above the bench to be of any useful size. And that means front opening. Unless as I said before, I go with a galley up.

44c

refrigeration

Post by 44c » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:00 pm

BTW I like the timber trim. The galley looks really nice. Is that beach?

madaz

refrigeration

Post by madaz » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:37 pm

SC, I really like your interior finish, that gives me something to go for, I have copied you pic into my file for futre refenernce when i get there.

northerncat

refrigeration

Post by northerncat » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:10 am

Is that beach? nah looks like timber to me

sean