Sinks

Suggestions on keeping the cook happy
44c

Sinks

Post by 44c » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:08 pm

The problem is, we want round ones. But we don't have a huge amount of space under the bench. I've been looking around a lot, but the round sinks all seem to be either too big to fit, or too small to be useful. What I'm looking for is sinks around 400mm diameter, and around 170mm deep. If anyone has come across something like this could you please let me know?

terryk

Sinks

Post by terryk » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:43 am

Hi 44C, look at an Aussie website called Abey, they have a range of bar sinks, there is a model called the Yarra-PR6, 430mm overall 370mm inside and 170mm deep.

Cheers

Terry

44c

Sinks

Post by 44c » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:29 am

Thanks for that Terry, they look good. I have also found a Franke sink that might (just) fit. I like the look of round ones, and I also think they might be a little more "water efficient" because you dont have to fill the corners up with water. Of course this assumes you have round plates and pots!

puremajek

Sinks

Post by puremajek » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:49 am

Any thoughts on the best way to prevent saltwater from re-entering the hull-sink-drain outlet and back up into the sink (whilst underway). It makes a great fountain they reckon, especially when all hands are on deck sailing and one re-enters to find the dishes rewashed. :oops:

Some have said to place an ‘S’ in the piping, some have said to just use a very secure plug. Not sure whether a stainless scoop (3” above waterline facing reward) would resolve the issue. Any takers :?:
James

44c

Sinks

Post by 44c » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:44 pm

I'm going to use a backward-facing scoop, and probably an S-bend too.

A suggestion puremajek - instead of using the stainless scoops you can buy, just cut a wedge off PVC pipe (whichever size suits) and glass it on - no srews into the hull down near the waterline, and no rust stains from the "stainless". Much cheaper too.

Smooth Cruiser

Sinks

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:49 pm

My kitchen sinks (galley down) don't splash up at all - the outlet is right on the water line. I think this is because the height to the sink and the narrow diameter of the drain pipe prevent the water coming all this way up. Also the water flow on the outside of the hulls is fairly quiescent. At night though they do gurgle with the water sloshing in and out of the outlet - to keep them quiet I just leave the plug in.

My vanity sink does spray up though - with water splashing right up to the roof while underway. I have a valve in the drain that I close while underway. This outlet comes out above the waterline near the outboard pod, but the splashing and surging there can be quite intense. Not really a big issue - just another thing to do before setting sail.

44c

Sinks

Post by 44c » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:58 pm

Getting back to the galley sinks, we actually bought some round ones, but took them back and got square ones. The round ones just took up too much bench space.