watermakers

Suggestions on keeping the cook happy
Smooth Cruiser

watermakers

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:29 am

Me too!! What a tease - I have a gurnie and a "few bits and pieces" so from your post I should be able to make one too!! 8)

malallo

watermakers

Post by malallo » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:47 pm

Sorry Guys, was in a bit of a rush yestrday to give any sort of details, the membranes were purchaced from http://www.membraneshop.com.au/ the pressure washer was a 1200w gurni brand unit ( needs to be brass body ceramic pistons) the pressure controller was off an old pressure cleaner I had lying around. On my freinds boat (mono) the unit was below the water line and so had no prime probs. the raw water enters through a sea cock to a raw water filter to the gurni to the membrane. pressure is controlled on the outflow side by the pressure control valve, this unit is currently producing about 60l per hour and runs off a 1000w inverter Honda Genset. Because of the low tec nature of this unit (no micro processors) it is very hands on and is definately not a set and forget. once the watermaker has finished its job the sea cocks are closed and the system is flushed with fresh water. ps membranes dont like chlorine :(

and will stop working if they get a dose.

Shane

northerncat

watermakers

Post by northerncat » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:50 am

how long has it been running by the way? thanks for the info too, its along the lines of what i am planning to do

sean

northerncat

watermakers

Post by northerncat » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:09 am

one other question, did the 1700 you mention include the genny

sean

puremajek

watermakers

Post by puremajek » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:55 am

I know that electric motors have a start up current of around 3X their normal draw, which is I assume why you need the larger generator. I would have thought though that a generator could supply the extra current needed briefly, and that maybe one only 1.5-2x larger would do the job
Appreciate the feedback, thank you.

Have also received information back from CITOR who have models from 1.5kw - 2.2kw and their recommendations are that unless one uses a soft-starter, one should use 6kw or better generators. Reading into this, they must also have an issue with starting and the 'power-up' cycle. They have not suggested a recommended ‘kw-rating’ when using the ‘soft-starter’. I am yet to see a 6kw genie on any 40’cat to be honest.

On a separate (however entwined topic), any suggestions (good, bad, for, against) on diesel generators from anyone?
James

northerncat

watermakers

Post by northerncat » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:27 am

i thought you had decided against diesel generators james( as for the against heavy, differnet fuel, expensive), just get a light little portable kipor petrol one for a grand, we could do a combined bulk puchase of two on membranes and make our own superior water makers that multi task as deck and hull cleaning pressure washers

northerncat

watermakers

Post by northerncat » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:38 am

i dont suppose shane that you have any photos of the aforementioned watermaker??? to post

sean

malallo

watermakers

Post by malallo » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:57 pm

sorry sean no pics it was done in a bit of a hurry my freind is currently still sailing in Indo and according to his last email the watermaker is doing fine no the $1700 did not include the Genny most of the cost was in the membranes and membrane canisters, the best membranes in my experience are the CITOR ones as in the past I have been able to send some back to the factory to be reconditioned (after the aformentioned chlorine incident) If you would like I can submit a drawing of the unit but the system is pretty basic and would with just a few mods double as a deck wash. As to gennys , the reason that diesel traditionaly was the gen of choice was reliability and fuel consumption,as a diesel mechanic you would expect that I would endorse the diesel units but the new inverter units are so quiet, reliable, light and fuel efficient that the choice is simple for boats. Most normal gensets run at a constant RPM and any change in RPM will effect the frequency of the out put power. The reason for the fuel efficiency with inverter gennys is that power is produced by alternator at a low DC voltage high amps, then is converted to AC voltage through an pure sine inverter the result being that the RPM vaires according to load saving fuel.

Shane

northerncat

watermakers

Post by northerncat » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:45 am

its a pity that honda dont isolate the inverter part so that you can plug your non running genny into your battery bank and use it as an inverter

sean

northerncat

watermakers

Post by northerncat » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:55 am

SWC-2540 Hydranautics 2.5" x 40" Sea Water Membrane

High rejection sea water membrane offers excellent productivity of up to 1.9 m3/day and excellent minimum salt rejection of 99.4%. Typical operating pressure of 5,500kPa @ 25°C, 32,000ppm TDS. Elements feature a FRP outerwrap and male end connections.

isnt the frp outerwrap mentioned above a membrane canister?

sean