watermakers

Suggestions on keeping the cook happy
fusion

watermakers

Post by fusion » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:19 am

Shane if you can build a watermaker is it possible to home brew Scotch and can you build a home brew kit that will survive the waves.

mark

malallo

watermakers

Post by malallo » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:30 pm

mmm good question... yes no problem you need a home brew barrel stainless steel urn without exposed element (birko) some malleable copper tube and a very accurate themometer.

mix yeast sugar and water in barrel to make mash.

attach the copper tube to the urn lid through where the handle goes.

once your mash has stopped fermenting strain into the urn and warm until you have the correct temp (cant remember what that is) this is the crucial part if you get the mash too hot you will make wood alcohol (methonol)and that has the inconvenient side effect of blindness and death so knowing what you are doing is a bonus. once you have stilled off your spirit, mix with tang for cointreau instant coffee and sugar for coffee liquor etc the variations are limitless. but the question is why would you bother? localy in oz booze is not that dear (unless you have a serious problem) and if you go offshore its even cheaper. freinds of ours (pelican easy no 1) keep winecasks and decant into bottles as needed so they dont take up too much room in the fridge which is also good for sundowners. As to boat proofing a home brew kit a yachty I know has fitted baffles to his barrel to stop the mix getting muddy.

Shane

fusion

watermakers

Post by fusion » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:51 am

Thankyou and well researched

I was advised to build a boat that could take six months of supplies to the Kimberleys, so I have storage space for brown rice and porridge. But was trying to decide on amber liquid.

I guess I should go back to watermakers instead of thinking of sundowners

mark

malallo

watermakers

Post by malallo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:25 pm

6 months is a long time probably a ale or two in that time may be required. I wonder how you could keep up the fresh food in that time I would imagine you could get sick of fish and rice?

northerncat

watermakers

Post by northerncat » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:09 am

tip for making powdered milk taste nicer, add a pinch of vanilla essence and a little sugar

sean