Webber BBQ

Suggestions on keeping the cook happy
44c

Webber BBQ

Post by 44c » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:46 pm

I was a bit owrried about how a Webber would survive in the marine environment, but School's Out have one and it's doing fine. Much better value than my $900 stainless "marine" barbecue.

Jim

Re: Diesel generator

Post by Jim » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:33 pm

I have had a Weber Baby Q for quite a while now and they are great. The body is made from powder coated cast aluminum with the burners stainless. I keep it inside when I am not on the boat, so it is as new. They have throw away foil drip trays and fold out sides (optional) to put stuff on. As with all Webers they have their own way of cooking, which really works well for very little gas useage. I think James on Pure Majek has had one since launching. Highly recommended, must have.
Jim.

madaz

Post by madaz » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:45 am

I have actually been thinking of a little webber myself for an outside BBQ on the boat. Sounds like they are the go!

puremajek

Post by puremajek » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:33 am

As with all Webers they have their own way of cooking, which really works well for very little gas useage. I think James on Pure Majek has had one since launching. Highly recommended, must have.
I am a strong advocate of this special bit of equipment. One word of warning, check with your Gas Man in your state, you may find you have to install an additional valve (the gas tilt thing). Not sure why one would risk gas cooking on any appliance when the yacht is at any other angle than level though.

We love the Weber, we have the next model up from the Baby-Q, which happens to take a full fish and baking of large loaves of bread. It has a thermometer in the lid which we use all the time, saves a bit on the gas too by allowing heat-control without opening the lid. We found the Weber 'Platinum dealers' to more competitive. We managed to get a few more bits at the same price including a 'breakfast plate' (which we sold on Ebay for $47). With the plastic table bits on each side, they went on Ebay where we got $90. And the other useless utensils which - you guessed it - we flogged on Ebay too (take that off the purchase price and the price comes down further).

We use the Weber 95% of time while on board, in fact have used the internal gas oven at the most, 12 times since launching???

Maintenance wise, ours is mounted on the aft handrail and very prone to the elements. We replaced all screws/bolts/nuts with SS gear prior to initial installation. The salt spray does affect the base part/component and we have had it sandblasted and powder coated again. I then sprayed a can of clear paint over the powder coating (the clear type that can withstand high temperatures used on car engines). This appears to be working OK.

The Weber definitely works for us.
James

seamad1250

Post by seamad1250 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:41 am

Ive got the family Q ( the big one) and the charcoal kettle at home, both great. Everyone who has seen the Q in action wants one. I have had to re- prick the burners twice and they have just about had it but can get replacements. Compared to my old bbq...no comparison. They use very little gas and cook super fast, easy to clean. Got mine at DJs for 25% off a couple of years ago, never seen them on sale since. Also used the points from my credit card from buying boat stuff so it was ' free"
Got a brand new sovreign bbq in the box for the boat a couple of years ago, might be selling that and takinng the q with me.

Trev

Post by Trev » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:48 pm

Hey all you weber lovers, go and start your own thread! I am trying to work out my electrics here. :P
Trev

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:42 pm

Yes, we do tend to get side tracked on this forum, bit like a some blokes having a few beer.
Jim.

rexd666
Site Admin

Re: Webber BBQ

Post by rexd666 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:44 pm

Trev I was thinking about splitting last night and didn't get around to it, but it is a good idea as the Webber thread does hold some good info. So split it is.
Steve