What is your shed tool list???

For those areas not suitable below and directly related to general building or fitout topics
Matt L.

Re: What is your shed tool list???

Post by Matt L. » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:59 am

teamROAM wrote: The 2 main items I wish I had/knew about from the start that I now have are:

Compressed air:

Hot Glue gun:

Mick
I tautoko Mick! Luckily I have always had both and used almost daily.

You cannot have enough air! Started with a 3hp single phase 16cfm which was adequate but have had a 3 phase 15hp 56cfm for a couple of years and its hard to go back. Once you have enough air you are introduced to many great air tools...die grinders, right angle die grinders, saber saw, Rotec sanding discs, of cousrse RO's-750grams light. And of course spray painting!

Hot glue guns! Don't get me started on hot glue guns..oh the things you can do and the people you meet with a hot glue gun. Temp holds for gluing small parts. Mockups. Batten frame templates of oh so difficult shapes. Kids are always borrowing them for arts and crafts. Had a huge expensive one that gave up the ghost after years of being left on daily, since have had the cheapies which have lasted well. Make sure you keep them insulated from you plastic build or they'll melt your hard work and at worst, catch fire.

Must add masking tape! Not just for spraying...but all throughout construction. Get a range from expensive shit that holds to cheap rubbish to pull off in a couple of hours. Blue stuff for temp edge holding of light cloths to hold shape while laying. A quick mask up of areas before glassing saves sanding later. Nice wide green 3M holds remarkably well to a surface to hot glue onto, to save difficult clean off later!

I like this thread. Hi everyone.
Feel free to season my comments with IMO's and IMHO's to taste. ;)

Matt L.

Post by Matt L. » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:53 am

This is a good topic...for the home builder about to start and considering where best to spend their tool budget, and also for those well into their project who might benefit being introduced to a new tool. I started with a fairly basic inventory of tools and even recently (15 yrs into it), I've got some new tools that I had not been exposed to much before, that I'm loving!

I wish this Tool List topic was a poll so we could add to the list and vote next to your fav's, making it an easy list to reference and consider when shopping? Does that magic exist on this forum? I've read mention of poll's but not come across one.

Anyway...my absolute fav tools through various stages would be (in no particular order as that requires way too much thought);

Hot glue gun- used throughout construction phase.
Air compressor- use everyday
cordless drill- love to have two- 10-12volt for screws and an 18v for many other tasks. Hate changing bits all the time.
die grinder (air)- I have a long shank which has saved me
right angled die grinder (air)- with a rotoc sanding pad which is awesome for detail work.
Jig saw- I think a good one is worth the $$ if you're doing precise cuts. Mold frames etc.
Saber saw (air)- has replaced the jigsaw for many jobs
vernier calipers-
Straight edges- many lengths.
Pressure pot- 10ltr, you can always put a smaller cup inside and cut your hoses shorter. Small pot you hold isn't always ideal.
portable lighting- fluorescent ones. Iv'e seen a regular incandescent bulb nearly set a glass hull on fire! Get rid of them so your'e not tempted to use them.
Quick grips and spring clamps- I hate f and g-clamps when you're short handed.
10" scissors- good ones that you can resharpen heaps
1/2 sheet orbital sander- I have a Festo 5mm and Makita 3mm. Both worthy. I find better in many situations than RO's. Fits cheaper roll paper.
150mm Random Orbital (air)- 750grams...need I say more?
115mm grinder- cutting discs and sanding discs
Sander polisher- Made a ply pizza dish to fit that does a good sanding job on flat areas

Probably add more later...

Oh and a set of these...makes a supersized compass. If you remember your Tech Drawing classes, not just for drawing circles but for repeating accurate measurements. Working out right angles and...that's all I remember?
IMG_20151118_141545.jpg
Here's a pic of my beloved air tools and a close up of my fav attachments...just in case you haven't come across these before...I hadn't till recently enough. Awesome for detail work!
IMG_20151118_141626.jpg
IMG_20151118_141812.jpg
Last edited by Matt L. on Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sea_bee

Post by sea_bee » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:39 pm

A good accessory for the bevel saw is an electronic bevel. Measure up the angle and then dial it in on the saw.

Matt L.

Post by Matt L. » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:47 pm

sea_bee wrote:A good accessory for the bevel saw is an electronic bevel. Measure up the angle and then dial it in on the saw.
I've seen the levels and you can zero the angle to repeat else where. I really like these but have never afforded one. I think they would be great on the water to zero plumb off a bulkhead you trust.
Is what I'm calling a level the same as your bevel Sea Bee?

sea_bee

Post by sea_bee » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:21 pm

Matt L. wrote:Is what I'm calling a level the same as your bevel Sea Bee?
I was right to call this a bevel, but the saw should have been referred to as a mitre saw.
Here's a photo of the bevel:

Matt L.

Post by Matt L. » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:20 am

Wow, that looks really cool. Definitely a bevel. Is it brainy enough to know level and plumb or does the digital just measure its open angle? If not, for me, the digital level (which reads angles) trumps it as could also easily repeat angles to your mitre saw. Have both in a perfect world.

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:54 am

I just wanted to share a little something with you all that I use frequently in my shop. Sense there is a lot of trimming and shaping on these boat builds I use a simple old school hand plane. At first I had trouble using it but when I watched this video and learned how to sharpen the blade it all became EASY !!

This guy has many many tips on woodworking and all he ever uses is hand tools. Very flash. ( I learned a new word. "Flash")
Cut me some slack I'm an American :) what did you expect!?!? Haha
Here is one that I use daily with two other tools I use.
image.jpeg
The tool on the left is a Kreg pocket screw guide.
Last edited by Beav222 on Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dean :lol: & Debra :mrgreen:

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than those you did. So throw off the bowlines and sail away. "

— Mark Twain American Writer.

Beav_222@yahoo.com

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:18 am

Here is another shop made tool that I use a lot. It's a saw guide I have shared this before but it belongs here on this thread.
This guide works well for cutting straight lines when you cannot use a table saw. It works with either side of the saw fence as you taylor the guide to the saw you are using. The other nice thing about this Guide is the table of your saw never touches the material you are cutting so it can never leave marks as with Formica we use on counter tops.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Perfect cuts every time
image.jpeg
The saw doesn't touch the material you're cutting
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than those you did. So throw off the bowlines and sail away. "

Beav_222@yahoo.com

kjay

Post by kjay » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:15 pm

Matt,
Just noticed the sanding thimble cup you use on you small die grinder in your photo's. Could you give me some more info on it please.
What is the proper name of the sanding thimbles and where did you purchase them from. I feel a solution to one of my problems has been found. however having trouble googling what they are.
thanks in advance.

John

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:17 am

I made this and it works a treat.
IMG_1267.JPG
IMG_1269.JPG
IMG_1242.JPG
IMG_1241.JPG
I started by trying to attach the sandpaper to the front and back of the board but once I started useing sticky back paper I didn't need to do that. Another problem I solved was, in the beginning I stuck the paper to the wood and that worked good but not the best. I added a piece is soft rubber under the paper it added surface area when it contacted the surface making it sand much faster. So far I'm useing 100 grit paper and it's working just fine.

The benefits !!!
IMG_1331.JPG
IMG_1269.JPG
I get to stay in shape!!
Attachments
IMG_1344.JPG

Beav_222@yahoo.com