What core?

For those areas not suitable below and directly related to general building or fitout topics
44c

What core?

Post by 44c » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:17 pm

I'm pretty sure you'd get an Easy into Coongul on a reasonable tide with no problem at all.

The main difference between daggerboards and mini-keels is performance. Especially to windward, but to some degree on all points of sail.

Daggerboard boats will have less leeway to windward, and a bit less drag going downwind. They should tack faster also.

Minikeels have advantages too, of course. I wouldn't want to dry my boat out on a pebble beach, but a mini-keel boat would probably be OK.

Chrisg

What core?

Post by Chrisg » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:59 am

44C, somewhere in the future we'll find out as today we arrange to buy the plans for an Easy Sarah, and i've just measured up the length of steel beams to modify the shed to accomodate the build.

For us it was a toss up between balsa core and epoxy over ply but my minister for finance put forward persuasive reasoning.
Chris & Michelle

Outback Dreamer - Sarah 23
http://www.outbackdreamer.com

puremajek

What core?

Post by puremajek » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:54 am

ChrisG

Just sent Pete on his way after traversing Wide Bay Bar this morning. WOW...what a wealth of sailing knowledge. Trimming the genoa by 200mm - picking up 1.5kts, using two genoa sheets to set the sail - another 1 knot. Doesn't sound like much, but with a 7-10 kt gusty breeze, we averaged 6.2kts. Best 9.2, worst 2 (with motor).

No problem about shallow anchorages and Coongal Creek.
James

Chrisg

What core?

Post by Chrisg » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:30 am

Thanks James, I'll have to vist Coongal Creek sometime.

:) Chris
Chris & Michelle

Outback Dreamer - Sarah 23
http://www.outbackdreamer.com

gunnadoo

What core?

Post by gunnadoo » Sun May 23, 2010 8:01 pm

Hi all, it's been a while. I have sold my boat. Suddenly, all the (for me) hypothetical discussion takes on a whole new dimension. Reality time!! Next boat selection. Build or buy (would have to be a mono, so a bit dubious)? Core, construction material? PLY ROTS. And yes, it was an epoxy boat. I had to dump the ply dinghy at about 8 yrs old, so rotten that it was not worth fixing. Now, I like still like ply, but with the following qualifications - quality marine ply. Design - maximise ventilation and ease of access for repairs. Paint sysem - able to be repaired easily (respray 2 hulls cost $12000 plus hardstand after Larry). Polycore - the FUB was a great test. The following was not my doing - painter snapped while FUB was under tow. A large (40') vessel hit it at about 8 knots. Poor little FUB just bounced off. No damage to it, but a small ding in the boat that hit it. I am forbidden by the CEO to look at boats (yes dear) for a few months until the house renovations are finished. Of course, that's not happening :lol: ..