Whitsunday Multihull Rendezvous 2009

Smooth Cruiser

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Thu May 28, 2009 4:29 pm

Woohoo! The Rendezvous is coming around again!! This year the event runs from the 29th August to the 4th of September. Then hang around for the Fun Race on the 5th September.

Now that this forum is starting to get a few boats on the water I look forward to seeing a few more people coming along!!

The Rendezvous is a full week of racing, but it can be as serious or as casual as you want it to be. There is a Racing OMR division, a Racing PHS division and a Cruising division - or BBQ division. Gatherings each night and a race around some part of the fantastic Whitsunday Islands every day. Bring it on . . . .

Read the posts about the previous years events to get a taste of what it is all about, or go to the website below for more info. This will be year 6 for me!

Rendezvous

puremajek

Post by puremajek » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:10 am

Alasdair

I have really tried, but to no avail. The employ as given me a strong NO. The wife has asked why we can't go north at Christmas. My immediate response was "off course we can". Knowing that it will be a battle with the winds ar#e about that time of year, it will be a motor all the way up I think. May have to do sail-hops during my days off, then fly everyone up when the holidays start. Thinking cap is on. :roll:
James

RW

Post by RW » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:13 pm

James, what a pity that work gets in the way of a good sail. What was the expression...."We work to live...not live to work".

Anyway I will going to Hammo this year. My brother has insisted that I crew with him on his "monomaran". What can I say. If I can find an excuse for a slightly longer stay I will. Hint hint...are there any cats or Farrier tris looking for a crew?

Cheers

Rod

Smooth Cruiser

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:58 am

First place on day 1. (Yesterday). Woohoo!! 8)

Went OK today too - will find out placing at tonights shin-dig. Beautiful weather, great sailing . . . more later.

puremajek

Post by puremajek » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:16 am

Go get'em Alasdair, don't upset to many of the 'thorough-breds' :wink: :wink:
James

Smooth Cruiser

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:41 am

Time for an update - today was a lay day!

This year I am in racing division, in previous years I have sailed in crusing division, but decided to step up and play with the faster boats. (There is a faster division still - which is the OMR division with the real racers).

Racing PHS division has quite a range of different boats in it, from a 62 foot Oram, a couple of very fast Schionnings, a Lightwave, an Arber, a couple of trailer tris, a couple of Pescotts and a few others. 14 entries in total - the total fleet over the three divisions is 31 boats.

I got a first on day one - never too great to do in PHS, but good to take the win anyway, 6th on day two after my handicap was hammered! 3rd on day 3 and this sees Bushytales leading the division after three days of racing.

Unfortunately I have to go back to work but I am sending the boat out with my regular crew to hopefully continue the good work!

As usual a great event - good people - good atosphere - great sailing.

terryk

Post by terryk » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:47 pm

Congradulations Alasdair :!: WORK :?: :?: You could be the beginning of the EASY`S reigning wins of terror , sailors will be whispering " I was beaten by a ply boat :cry: "

Cheers

terryk

44c

Post by 44c » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:43 pm

Well done. What are the handicap ratings? How are you going in line honours terms?

Smooth Cruiser

Post by Smooth Cruiser » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:03 am

Sailing reasonably well on line honours - coming in mid fleet, have caught up to the Oram 62 once which was a buzz!

Anyway - final position is that I came in 4th overall for the regatta. Going to work seriously compromised my standings!! Work really has a habit of getting in the way of my social life! However, it is work that has enabled me to own a boat in the first place so I can't complain too much!!

The last two days I had a DNF and a last, without them things would have looked quite different. (There's always an "If . . . ").

Great week though - great weather and great bunch of people. Might see a few forumites next year??

Now - it is the fun race next Saturday and I am back on the boat for it so I need to start interviewing applicants for figurehead positions . . . it's a hard job but someone has to do it!

puremajek

Post by puremajek » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:27 am

Now - it is the fun race next Saturday and I am back on the boat for it so I need to start interviewing applicants for figurehead positions . . . it's a hard job but someone has to do it!

Well...heres an offer you can't refuse, Alasdair. If you could please post the final pictures of the 'potential applicants' below, there are a few of us who would love to help. :wink:
James