Whitsunday Multihull Rendezvous 2010

Smooth Cruiser

Post by Smooth Cruiser »

The years fly by - it's almost Rendezvous time again!

For anyone interested - the info is all on the web site: Rendezvous

Dates are 28th Aug - 3rd Sep with a great weeks sailing out of Airlie Beach, passage races, windward leewards and bay races - serious racing, casual racing or BBQ division (cruising!).

I can recommend this as a great event for anyone who wants to see how their boat goes against others, share some yarns or a quiet ale with like minded people or just get out for some great sailing around the Whitsundays.

See the seperate threads about previous years' events for more info.

northerncat

Post by northerncat »

you havent mentioned what place you are aiming to come this year

sean
Smooth Cruiser

Post by Smooth Cruiser »

Hmmmm - 1st?

My boat is in Brisbane - for sale :?
Smooth Cruiser

Post by Smooth Cruiser »

So 44c - are you going in the Rendezvous this year??
44c

Post by 44c »

Probably not. They handicap non-locals out of contention. Even in a little 38 foot Mango we carried almost the same handicap as Cheetah, a Schionning 45, which was purpose built to race, with superlight balsa, oversized rig and foils.

In our boat we'd probably be expected to GIVE time to them, even though we're fully kitted out for full-time liveaboard, we only have two cruise lam sails versus their full carbon set, etc etc.

They need to allow non-locals a fair chance to compete, if they want the regatta to grow. Keep doing what they are doing and it'll die in the arse. :(

We'll probably go to the Shag island get-together instead.
Smooth Cruiser

Post by Smooth Cruiser »

Fair enough - not sure that I fully agree with you though on the handicaps - the last few years non local boats have done very well - winning PHS in 2009 and winning Div 1 in 2008. With PHS racing it is always hard to place new boats so they generally tend to sit either too high or too low in their ratings for the first few races.

All the real serious boats sail on OMR these days anyway so it leaves the PHS division much more laid back than it used to be. I always had a ball.

But the Shaggers weekend should be good too. Hope you're enjoying your trip north!