Day sail Barrier Reef

servus

Day sail Barrier Reef

Post by servus » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:25 pm

Hi to all, I'm building an Easy 10.5 ss, still early days - bought the plans, setting up the workspace and gathering materials.

We live in Victoria and have escaped the cold for a while (epoxy wouldn't cure anyway...) We are planning to spend a week or so (starting Sunday 24 June) in North QLD and visiting The Great Barrier Reef and perhaps some of the islands would be the highlight of the holiday.

We looked at the reef cruises but are not much attracted to go on a boat that can take 150 people! Then the idea came (credit to my wife) to see if perhaps there is someone with an Easy who would be willing to take us out for a day. It would be a much more relevant experience and also a great occasion to learn. We are more than happy to consider money as well.

If you would like to contact me directly call or text: 0413-087-001

Thank you.
Ovid

Mick@itc

Re: Day sail Barrier Reef

Post by Mick@itc » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:59 pm

Hi Ovid

Where in Vic are you building?
Mick
Mick
If all you have is a hammer...everything is a nail!

servus

Post by servus » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:55 pm

Seymour area, about 100 km North of Melbourne.

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:34 pm

I would be glad to take you out, however I will be Leaving for South Africa on that date for a motorcycle tour for a month. There is plenty of tours to choose from depending on your budget. The most reasonable is probably Day Tripper, which is a small sailing cat, 40ish feet and only takes about 20 people and goes to Upolo Reef. Passions of Paradise is a mega sailing cat with usually plenty of backpackers to feast your eyes on. It goes to Micaelmas Cay for the day. Ocean Spirit has a couple of big sailing cats and goes to Micaelas Cay and Oyster Reef. (2 boats) They are the sailing cats but there is plenty of power cats go both to the inner ond outer reef.
http://www.snorkelcairns.com/ covers most of the tour operators.
Jim.

terryk

Post by terryk » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:23 pm

Jim, I thought you were scared of crocodiles, South Africa has cats bigger than our crocodiles :!: Have a good trip and watch out for pot holes and big cats :)
cheers
terryk

servus

Post by servus » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:25 pm

Thanks for the reply Jim.
We just arrived in Cairns today and are looking at the available tours.
Motorcycle tour in Africa sounds really interesting, I hope you will enjoy it.
Ovid

servus

Post by servus » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:26 pm

Just to wrap this up, your advice proved valuable Jim. We went with the Day Tripper, had a small group of about 16 + 3 crew and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. By the end of the day we had talked to just about everybody.
The boat is 40 feet and I wonder how heavy since we had just about everybody on a side at a time without really noticing. We motorsailed all the way due to time constraints, I would have wished to see it using the sails only but really cannot complain about that. Overall a great day, excellent value for money, I can recommend to everyone who can't wait until he has his own boat ready to go!