Heading North

Smooth Cruiser

Heading North

Post by Smooth Cruiser »

Well - the year is rolling by and it comes that time when the cruisers start to head north again.

I set off tomorrow - starting this years trip north by sailing from Brisbane to Gladstone as fast as I can in the company of some other avid multihullers. Hopefully the weather gods are kind to us and we have a good race. If anyone is following the trackers progress during the race give a cheer for McMoggy.

After that the normal haunts of Airlie Race Week, Maggie Race Week and some idyllic cruising locations await.

Will update soon . . .
mySerenity

Re: Heading North

Post by mySerenity »

Gee, I'm dragging the chain here.

I only got back a month ago.... :shock:

I've been told I'm a bit slow :oops:
James

https://www.youtube.com/user/puremajek

Post by Smooth Cruiser »

Well - we had a fantastic Brisbane to Gladstone race on McMoggy. For a first time Gladstone run for the boat and the majority of the crew we couldn't really ask for anything more. This race had a bit of everything - a highly entertaining start with the rule book thrown out of the window on a fair few of the boats, some great sailing at times in good breeze, some frustrating sailing at times in no breeze, wind shifts all over the place, rain, squalls, sunshine, a great sunrise and dawn sail, dolphins in the middle of the night, a new top speed set for the boat, some exhilarating two sail sailing, awkward moments trying to get kites to fill and not wrap around forestays, a bit of excitement going from a downwind kite slide to a close hauled beat in 2 minutes without altering course and all wrapped up by a frustrating finish sitting within 300m of the finish line for about 50 minutes just choosing our moment to cross. The partying, the presentations and the general atmosphere in Gladstone were pretty special too.

What a blast that I think rewarded all of the boats out there for their efforts - I can recommend this race to anyone who wants to take things a bit further than bay racing or day sailing regattas - a real chance to test boat and crew, and a chance to compete against some of the best prepared multi's and some of the great multi sailors. It was also heaps of fun being able to blast past most of the mono fleet . . .

But the best aspect of our race was the teamwork and the camaraderie - we had a great bunch of people on board, we worked together well and we had a whole load of fun and I think we will all treasure the experience we shared. While we weren't up there in the placings I have absolutely no regrets and loved every minute of it.

Now for some sleep . . .
Finally

Post by Finally »

Ah, yes, brings back many fond memories. It's been quite a few years since I did my last B-G race. Sounds like the partying atmosphere hasn't changed.

Does the Mayor still rock up with a slab for the boat crew?

And what is the new top speed for McMoggy? Surfing down those SE Swells near Breaksea Spit?

David
Smooth Cruiser

Post by Smooth Cruiser »

Here's a video of the race - sorry it's a bit long! :oops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmDPOJWxD_c