Easy 10.5 SS

Build logs from members building catamarans, trimarans and other multi-hull variants.
Romeo

Re: Easy 10.5 SS

Post by Romeo » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:37 pm

[quote][/(what I really mean is ask your better half politely to do what needs to be done while docking)... ;)quote]
There are head sets called marriage savers Wi-Fi. Friends I know use them and reckon they are the best thing since sliced bread. A little pricy but if they do what they are named after price is nothing
Romeo

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:18 am

Romeo wrote:I bought a sliding hatch to put in a couple of years ago. haven't put it in but left space. I am thinking of putting a video camera up forward connected to my multi screen so I don't have to put another hole in my cat.
I

WOW what a great idea. I have been struggling with the visibility thing also. There could be multiple cameras around the boat and you could use them for security when not around. Just link to home or phone.
Great idea Romeo.

Cheers Dean

BTW great job Mike :D hahaha
Dean :lol: & Debra :mrgreen:

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than those you did. So throw off the bowlines and sail away. "

— Mark Twain.

Beav_222@yahoo.com

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:08 pm

Hi Mike do you have any pics of your aft steps??

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than those you did. So throw off the bowlines and sail away. "

— Mark Twain.

Beav_222@yahoo.com

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Tue May 02, 2017 9:44 am

This is the best I can find, sorry...
Attachments
FullSizeRender22.jpg

mahnamahna

Post by mahnamahna » Tue May 02, 2017 9:19 pm

Dean a suggestion that I followed to get a bigger bottom step, and to add curves would be to add overhangs to the plate that forms your bottom step top. So your hulls stay the same shape just the top is rounded. Depending on the thickness of that top plate, say its 25mm ply, you could easily get away with 150mm overhang aft and inboard. Round those for a shape that suits. I based mine on the Fusion40 shape.

If the top of that bottom step is high enough above waterline it shouldn't interfere with water flow along the hulls. I was told that the Fusion inboard overhang does "catch" on waves. Mine are about 200mm above waterline, not sure if that will catch, I have streamlined them into the hull to minimize it, but figured that I will spend far more time at anchor and wanted a big bottom step more than I valued the speed I might lose if I have created some drag.

PS, years ago I bought 2 manual car sunroofs and decided against using them, if you are interested in them let me know and I will send picks.
Cheers Paul

44c

Post by 44c » Thu May 04, 2017 9:21 am

A few of the people I've met with Fusions have seriously considered cutting those overhangs off.

They can be noisy under sail and at anchor and because they're always wet, they grow algae on the underside.

mahnamahna

Post by mahnamahna » Sat May 06, 2017 10:39 am

Yep heard all those things (algae on the underside is a new one) and still decided the benefits for me outweigh the negatives. Including losing half a knot.....like that can be measured. Bet not one of them actually did cut them off.

44c

Post by 44c » Sun May 07, 2017 7:28 am

I doubt if there's even half a knot of speed loss. It was the noise people complained about. On the Fusion, they are quite noisy.

With a gelcoated boat, cutting them off and restoring the finish would be a big job. One guy I know still seems keen to do it though.

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Sat May 13, 2017 2:59 am

mahnamahna wrote:Dean a suggestion that I followed to get a bigger bottom step, and to add curves would be to add overhangs to the plate that forms your bottom step top. So your hulls stay the same shape just the top is rounded. Depending on the thickness of that top plate, say its 25mm ply, you could easily get away with 150mm overhang aft and inboard. Round those for a shape that suits. I based mine on the Fusion40 shape.

If the top of that bottom step is high enough above waterline it shouldn't interfere with water flow along the hulls. I was told that the Fusion inboard overhang does "catch" on waves. Mine are about 200mm above waterline, not sure if that will catch, I have streamlined them into the hull to minimize it, but figured that I will spend far more time at anchor and wanted a big bottom step more than I valued the speed I might lose if I have created some drag.

PS, years ago I bought 2 manual car sunroofs and decided against using them, if you are interested in them let me know and I will send picks.
Cheers Paul
Sun roofs......hmmmmm better check with the admiral on that one. It was bad enough I didn't ask to build in the first place....
I have been thinking about this for a while now and think I have a path forward. I don't think the step need to curve very much. And I've thought about extending the swim platform a little. If I do that it will need to be stiffened maybe some foam and glass. I'll need to be careful docking from aft and not smash it.

— Mark Twain.

Beav_222@yahoo.com

Beav222

Post by Beav222 » Sat May 13, 2017 3:04 am

mikeb wrote:This is the best I can find, sorry...

That's good enough. I'd like to extend the swim platform but if I do I'll need to move the ladder to the inboard side and do you know anyone that has done that?

— Mark Twain.

Beav_222@yahoo.com