BIPOLAR

Build logs from members building catamarans, trimarans and other multi-hull variants.
michaelo

BIPOLAR

Post by michaelo » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:15 pm

[

I'm a couple of months into my Wilderness 1230 and busy as a .. I don't know what, and happy as a pig in ... sticky bog

See Youtube yWZzt-TjRTA

Edited by Smooth Cruiser - here is the full link: Schionning Time Lapse

RW

BIPOLAR

Post by RW » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:42 am

Good work...wish the builds were as quick as that. You have done well in the short period you have been working.

Rod

Whimsical

BIPOLAR

Post by Whimsical » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:01 am

Thats funny, love it.

Suggestion, I put some stumps to support the inside edge of the bulkheads and then put up two sheets of 3600 x 900 particle board flooring. Makes working on that area very comfortable, far better than just a plank.

Good luck with the build

Conventional rig or Bi?

Mike

michaelo

BIPOLAR

Post by michaelo » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:29 am

Thanks for the tip. I've been balancing on those damn planks for weeks.

The rig is a Bi-poler like yours

Whimsical

BIPOLAR

Post by Whimsical » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:27 am

michaelo

Of course I missed the name the first time I looked.

That chamfer panel is a bugger to work over, always a stretch.

I tried doing some coving while the hull was inverted and found it a pain, was always falling away from the scraper. I only did what I needed to do in the first few bays and left the rest until the hull was the right way up, faaaaarrrrrr easier. I did all the longitudinal taping upside down which wasn't bad.

Did you install the keelsons when just the 4 bottom panels were installed, far easier, especially the first one.

Mike

michaelo

BIPOLAR

Post by michaelo » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:47 pm

I have done most of the coving and taping, except the overhead ones in the bilge. It turned out OK.

That first keelson has been on my mind since I found I couldn't squeeze in the space and put it in overhead with the panels on. I plan to try with

the hull on it's side when I turn it over.

The good thing about building a cat is the the second hull will be so much easier after practicing on the first.

Whimsical

BIPOLAR

Post by Whimsical » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:09 pm

Paul, Mahnamahna, did it later so it can be done. I have installed them all but only taped the first one, there is enough room to get in the rest. Given the shape of the hull being very veed you can't actually tape over it so i filled the sides to flush and glassed over that. This is virtually impossable upside down with a straight spheres mix so I used pieces of cedar and balsa offcuts to form the bulk. I think Paul just filled the sides and didn't glass over it which would be easy right way up.

Have you been following Pauls construction blog

Mike

michaelo

BIPOLAR

Post by michaelo » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:35 am

! have been following Paul's progress with interest and his blog is very helpful now that I'm building . I admire his dedication to his blog

northerncat

BIPOLAR

Post by northerncat » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:21 am

i too admire his dedication to his blog possibly those hours could have been put into his boat, but its the kind of thing that kept me interested enough to build mine so i take my hat off to him

nice to have you on board and am looking forward to your input

sean

mahnamahna

BIPOLAR

Post by mahnamahna » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:57 am

Hi Guys,

Couldnt resist jumping in. Sean it is true I could put more hours into the actual build as my longest days are usually 6 or 7 hours when I could put in 12 hours or more, but I never feel like working long hours, it is after all a hobby. Maybe when I can see the end in sight I might get motivated enough to put in the really long days but for now I am happy with 80 hours a month. I work full time (I have 1 and a half jobs) as well as build the boat so I reckon I am working about 320 hours a month including the boat build so that is a fair effort. I always work on the website at home in the evenings while watching tv (I can touch type without looking at my fingers) and unwinding (after a day of building my back is usually a bit sore) and it takes me about an half an hour each entry so it is not taking any boat building time and I can tell you, it is very theraputic. I often run my next job through my mind while writing the blog. The other thing it does is actually motivates me to keep working on the boat. Like I have an obligation to people reading. Its like telling people you are giving up smoking, or going on a diet...by telling them you have reinforcement and encouragement to keep working. In January this year I really didnt feel like continuing on the build, we had money trouble and it was very hot and I got a bit dispondant. But I managed to get some work done because I felt I had to do something to keep readers interested. Now everything is great again so I usually end each blog with my goals for the next day or week or month, and it helps to articulate them as it usually means I will achieve all or most of them. Anyway, one day, when the boat is done I will have a fantastic reminder of the build (besides the actual boat!). I am thinking I might actually get someone to print it for me so I have it like a book. Cheers and thanks for reading, I am thrilled that people get some value from it.